Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Case of the Bloody Iris - the most giallish giallo

If I would have to show gialli to a person that knows nothing about them, this one would be definitely one of the first to recommend. It's far from great, it's sometimes really stupid, and definitely it's not original at all, it's really eclectic actually. But that means that this movie has almost every ingredience linked with giallo and its style. There's almost nothing missing in this one.
Overlong weird title? Perché quelle strane gocce di sangue sul corpo di Jennifer? In Italian, check. Well, it doesn't contain any number, any color nor any number, but I guess with "Bloody Iris" and "Drops of Blood / Gocce di sangue" it leaves a lot for your imagination of red blood on white skin / flower.

Numerous murders, mostly girls? Check.
City location? Check.
A black-clad killer using mostly a blade? Check.
Female nudity? Check.
Incompetent police? Check.

Who is the more representative pair of giallo leads than Edwige Fenech and George Hilton? Double check.
Non-police investigator? Edwige must do that herself, she's a shy detective but she investigates a bit. Check.
Bottles of J&B? I believe there were some. Yes, at least this one above the bartender - check.
Bad memories? Check.
Twisted sexuality (in terms of a 1972 watcher)? Check.
Modeling agency? Check.

Gay photographer? Check.
The violence could seem graphic to some and pretty mild to someone else, but yes, there's some blood, so check.

Luciano Pigozzi and George Rigaud in small parts? Check.
Weird (un)funny scenes? Check.
Stylish shots with lots of zooming? Check.
I could go on and on. Actually I believe I named it all. After the second rewatch, I didn't have such a good time, maybe it all seemed to me fresh the first time, with this being my third giallo, three years after the first two. Now after watching many more, I see its flaws clearly. But it's an entertaining movie and yes, I still would recommend it to a newby. Along with The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh and Blood and Black Lace, so he would see some quality stuff too.

No comments:

Post a Comment