Wednesday, November 15, 2017

MY LITTLE SPAGVEMBER

I'm a frequent reader of the Spaghetti Western Database and its forum, where its members do a "Spagvember" every year since 2014 or so. I wouldn't make 30, every day a movie, I don't have the time or I don't feel like watching a movie or I'm not in the mood for a spaghetti western. But now I was in the mood, but being a little bit skeptical about it, I decide to watch at least 5 new SWs. It's November 15th and I've made it. Yay! So I will probably continue in the next day and we'll see what can I make. What I've watched so far:

TEQUILA (1973)
Oh that was so stupid and boring! Mostly about completely dull and unfunny Roberto Camardiel. The shootouts are awful, the fistfights are awful, just because the director needed to show more of Camardiel and less of everything else. Steffen can't help it, Fajardo looks bored. Never more.

KILL THE POKER PLAYER (1972)
Now that was one I kind of liked. But I would have liked it more if there was Gianni Garko instead of Robert Woods and if it was called Sartana. It felt like a not so well made Sartana, badly cut and badly shot, and with rubber snakes. But there are plenty of good character actors in the cast as the suspects - Frank Braña, Carlo Gaddi, Ivano Staccioli and Nieves Navarro, a.k.a. Susan Scott, a.k.a. Butthole Face. Sorry, I've been listening to the Giallo Ciao Ciao podcast lately, and too much I guess.

WANTED SABATA (1970)
Boring, badly made, very cheap and probably very quickly. Lots of zooming, practically no story. The hero, played by the late (and unfortunately wooden) Brad Harris spends most of the movie in a cave and we follow the bad guy, played by the absolutely non-fitting Vassili Karis. Completely waste of time.

BLOOD AT SUNDOWN (1966)
Steffen vs. Garko, yes! Steffen is wooden, Garko overacts, but I got used to it during the movie. Not bad, there were very good parts of it, especially with the mother, who is a kind of communist. Interesting ideas about her. Nice action, not so nice plot with many holes, especially in the end. And it feels really southern - blood relations and pride are above everything. And quote from the Bible in the end, while the God is angry. Oh, man, that sucked. But overall the best of the five with great music. And it's mostly enjoyable. Apart from unfunny scenes with Lord Tuff Tuff himself, Chris Howland. Did I mention Garko actually plays Sartana in this one? Not the traditional one.

SAVAGE GRINGO (1966)
I love Mario Bava, but then I found out that he didn't direct this film. This movie feels like an American 1950s B-western, where Ken Clark replaces Randolph Scott. He's good, he's brave and he's very hairy. The redhead wife falls in love with him, so does the Mexican prostitute. The sheriff is drunk and corrupted, the villain is just a common thief instead of a terrorist like Sartana from the previous flick. It's about a bank robbery without a bank, about cattle ranch without cattle. The good wins, the evil loses. Nothing special.

No comments:

Post a Comment